St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church Religious Organizations | Church

417 S. Main St.
Goshen, IN 46526
(574) 533-3385
Fax: (574) 533-1814
Click to Learn More
View Map

about us

The history of St. John the Evangelist Church dates back to 1840 when the city of Goshen was established as a mission of St. Augustine Church in Fort Wayne. It wasn't until 1860 when construction of the first church building began. St. John Church was completed in 1861, making it the third oldest church in the Fort Wayne South Bend Diocese. In 1948 the Church received improvements to the building with a new limestone front in Gothic styling. Shortly after that, the church was redecorated in 1952.

As the parish at St. John Church continued to grow, a necessary expansion began in 1970. The old church was demolished and the new church was constructed in Colonial design and style. Simultaneously in 1971 a new rectory was built to coincide with the Colonial design of the church. The church and rectory are the buildings we currently use and enjoy today.

For a detailed history of the church and school, you may visit the St. John Church office. The history of our parish has been fully recorded since 1860.



highlights

  • Services in English and Spanish
  • Youth Ministry
  • Great Staff Members
  • Beautiful Location